Friday, January 16, 2009

Handy Dandy

I swear this house is cursed! It seems as though every time I turn around, something else has broken. Lately our shower has been clogged- probably not so much the house's fault, but more three girls using one shower-, the knob on the shower mysteriously broke off, and the light in my room is burnt out. I decided that I would become handy and fix everything. I'm a very girly girl, but even girly girls like to fix things.

Nina and I had already tried fixing the shower knob, but the knob we got didn't fit. I had Andy go to Lowe's in Edwardsville to pick another one up. It's amazing how differently a man and woman's brain functions. I tried describing the knob to Andy. This is kind of how it went:

Me- Well, it's kind of hexegon, but just the part that fits to the poke out part, but the knob is
round, and the one we already bought at Walmart had little pokey things that came out of
it, so it didn't fit. So do you see one at Lowe's that would work?
Andy- What? Umm, I don't know what your talking about.
Me- It's hexegon, well let me go see again, well one part's hexegon, but it's round too.
Andy- I don't see what you're talking about. Can't find it.

So I checked the faucet knob off my fix-it list. 1 down, 2 to go.

Next was the drain. We figured it was clogged when the water started going up to our ankles when we showered. Grant (the homeowner) had told us just to go to the basement, unscrew the pipe, and a discusting ball of hair would slop out. Gross, but so is ankle shower water. So Nina and I went down stairs with a wrench (how fix-itish!) and tried to find the pipe. There are a lot of pipes in the basement. The one coming from the tub had a lot of twists and turns, so we decided it was probably best not to tackle that one ourselves. 2 down, 1 to go. Nothing fixed.

Last, my light. I thought for sure I could do this one. It's a light! And a very cool one with a remote. I can lay in bed and turn my light on or off, or even dim them! I made Andy put one in the house. ( He can thank Grant and Molly for that one!) I unscrewed the globe, which was a challenge in itself, and found the tiniest wierdest light bulb ever! I of course didn't have it and therefore couldn't replace. So much for that.

All three jobs were attempted, but none were completed. I was unsuccessfully handy. My friend Lindsey put it best when she said, "Try to be handy, but when you become unseccessfully handy, call the boyfriend." So I did :)

No comments:

Post a Comment