Sunday, August 14, 2011

Turtle Cheesecake

Out of all the sweets I've baked, I've never made a true cheesecake. Why? I have no idea! I insisted we get spring-form pans on our registry two years ago so I could make cheesecake, but they've been piled and shoved and rattled in my cabinet waiting to be used. On our date Friday, I asked Andrew what his favorite dessert was besides ice cream and cake. He answer was cheesecake. Who knew? So being the good wife I am (ok, maybe I secretly really like cheesecake too) I decided to bake Andrew a cheesecake. A turtle cheesecake to be exact. I found a recipe on Kraftrecipes.com and went with it (and changed a few things also). It's Kraft, it has to be easy! And it was.

Ultimate Turtle Cheesecake
24 Oreo Cookies, finely crushed (about 2 cups)...which means you can eat some and still have plenty left)

6 Tbsp. butter or margarine, melted

1 pkg. (14 oz.) Kraft Caramels

1/2 cup milk

1 cup chopped Pecans (I only had walnuts, so I used those)

3 pkg. (8 oz each) Cream Cheese, softened

3/4 cup sugar

1Tbsp Vanilla

3 eggs

1/2 cup chocolate chips + 2 Tbsp milk


1. Place your 24 Oreos into a gallon sized Zip-lock bag. Using a rolling pin, crush the cookies until they're small crumbs.




2. Melt your butter and add it to the cookies. Seal bag and shake (smoosh) around until combined.


3. Press your cookie mixture onto the bottom and 2 inches up the side of your 9-inch springform pan. (BTW: I had three sizes of pans, but didn't know which one was 9 inches, and I couldn't find a ruler or tape measure. If you are ever in a bind like I was, there is a website called iruler.net that has an actual ruler to measure. What did we ever do before we had the internet?)

4. After you've made your crust, melt your bag of caramels with the milk for 3 minutes, stirring after each minute, until melted and smooth. Pour 1/2 of the mixture over the crust. Sprinkle 1/2 of the nuts on top. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.


5. While the crust is cooling, combine 3- 8 oz. packages of cream cheese (I used reduced fat), vanilla, and sugar (I might try Splenda next time) until smooth.



6. Add room temperature eggs, one at a time, mixing on low speed after each just until blended. pour over caramel layer in crust.


7. Bake at 325 for 1 hour 10 minutes or until center is almost set. Tip: Place a pan of water in the oven, along with the cheesecake, to prevent cracking.

8. When done, remove from oven and run a knife around the rim. Refrigerate until cool (about 4 hours if you can stand it) before removing the ring.

9. Melt remaining caramel and pour over cheesecake. Combine the milk and chocolate chips in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds, until melted. Drizzle over cheesecake. Sprinkle remaining nuts.


10. Eat and enjoy!!!!

It was way easier than I ever expected and didn't really take that much time to make. I'll definitely make this again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment