Friday, July 29, 2011

Belize- Day Six

Today has been a day of rest and relaxation. We are staying at a beautiful resort on the beach and today we were able to enjoy it. After taking a morning nap on the beach, we headed for the town of Placencia where we bought souvenirs and ate yummy ice cream. We didn't want to stay too long, so we decided to take a taxi back to the hotel instead of taking the group bus back. Let me tell you, the taxis in Belize are not the same as the ones in the US. They are primarily identified by having a green license plate. We weren't having any luck finding one, so we decided to go searching. We found one parked at a barber shop. The driver was getting his hair cut, but had his friend drive us. The van we rode in was fresh out of 1993, no air, and the driver had to open the door from the outside to let us out because the handle on the inside was nonexistent. It was all a little shady, but the driver was nice and we made it back safely. After our shopping spree, we hung out by the pool and got burnt. I was hoping for a Belizean goddess tan, but instead I got a burn. I'm still hoping it turns into a beautiful dark tan though!

Right before supper, four of our team members decided they wanted to be baptized in the ocean. It was amazing and brought tears to my eyes. It was just one more way God was glorified this week.

Today has also been a day of reflection on the entire week. There have been so many highs and lows running through, that we are spent physically, mentally, and emotionally. The things we saw and experienced will stay with us and impact the rest of our lives. I'll never forget the children, their smiles, their laughter, and their hugs. I'll never forget the mothers who so desperately wanted vitamins for their children. I'll never forget the people who I worked with who cared for over 500 people, trying to make a difference. Dr. Paul suggested we write down three things that impacted us the most on this trip. I have so many more than three, but I've narrowed them down to three:

1. My God qualifies the unqualified. I felt like I was going into this mission trip blindly. I had no idea what I was getting into, I just knew I had to go. I had doubts and fears, but God showed me that there was no question I was to be here this week. God's timing is perfect and should never be questioned. God also has unbelievable patience as I question so much, yet he always carries through.

2. I am blessed and selfish. I have so much while other have so little. I buy another pair of shoes when the $12 could be spent on sponsoring a child. I take my blessings for granted. I take healthcare, my family, my country, and my God for granted. God has showered me with more blessings than I ever deserve. My goal after leaving is to use the blessings God has given me and spread them to others, whether in Belize or in my own country.

3. I am blessed to have been raised in a country, home, and church where my needs were always provided for, where I have healthcare when I need it, where my closets are full, and where I never wondered where or when my next meal would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment