Thursday, July 28, 2011

Belize- Day Five

I can't believe today was the last day at the clinic. We saw a total of 173 patients, plus many other who were seen but not charted on. The the line was forever long again when we came to the clinic. We were so busy today and it was so hot. Mom and I were able to begin the day by giving two little girls dresses the New Hope ladies had made. The construction team was building them a new house as well. The smiles on their faces were priceless. Many people in Belize only have one set of clothing. To have your clothing collection double is pretty awesome. While we were there a 4 year old neighbor girl came up to us with a severed foot that needed stitches. The mother and father were digging a ditch for their first ever "pipe water" and were unable to take the child to the clinic, so we took her 6 year old sister along to be the interpreter and packed both of them into the SUV. The child was so scared. I can't imagine being the little girl, having white people take me from my home, having them stick a needle in my foot and stitching up my foot, and not having my mom there. I also can't imagine being the mother and knowing my baby was getting her foot stitched up and not being able to be there for her. The girl's foot was stitched and everything worked out. The drive and survival of the Belize is amazing.

As the clinic got busier, we knew there was no way we were going to be able to see each patient. The medical director came up with a brilliant idea to have the nurses act like doctors and give OTC meds (vitamins, tylenol, etc.) to well children and also give them worm pills. This freed up the physician so that they could see more seriously ill patients. It was pretty cool, but I don't think it'll work in the states :).

The last thing we were able to do was hand out goody bags that New Hope VBS made for the children. We handed out 60. Each child received a toy, crayons, a starburst, and a toy. The smiles on the children's faces were priceless. I'll always cherish their hugs and love.

This week has had so many ups and downs. I've met some amazing, loving, and strong people. People like Delia, our interpreter, who aspires to go to America and obtain a degree in science. She is so smart. She interpreted everything from education on hypertension, to diabetes, to hand washing and food preparation. By the end of the week, she was able to teach the patients on her own and she'll be able to continue to education her village once we are gone. We have fallen in love with her and are hoping to be able to help her get into the US so that she can reach her dream.

I have fallen in love with Belize and it's people. I've been humbled and shown how blessed I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment