Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Beliz- Day Three.

I can't believe it's day 3 already! Today was awesome. I felt as though I made a little bit of difference in my patient's lives. They are so appreciative of our care. So far, we have treated 206 patients. We have been so busy, and we wouldn't want it any other way. Education went much better. We were able to work with the MD's and NP's on diagnosis and the patient's specific needs. We worked in the clinic starting at 9 and ending at 4:30, making for a long day. Some things I learned about Belize:

1. The people are happy. They are so poor, yet they are always smiling.
2. Families are big and the girls start having babies young. One villager told us sometimes as young as 14. I had one patient who was 23 and had 5 children including a 7 year old. I can't even imagine.
3. I am so blessed.
4. I taught a patient what arthritis is. I could see a light bulb click on when I told him his joint pain was from old bones rubbing on old bones. It made so much since to him. He told me no one had ever told him why his bones ached. He also called us angels and said God sent all of us for a very big reason. He was 80 something and quite the ladies man. He definitely stole my heart.
5. A one month old also stole my heart. She had fever and the mother had no tylenol to take the fever down. We take so much for granted. The poor mother could do nothing for her new baby's fever until she came to us.
6. God has made the unqualified, qualified.

No comments:

Post a Comment