Tuesday, August 23, 2011

To Do Board



My secret sister at church is beautiful, kind, caring, is in college, and lives in an apartment that is very brightly decorated. I wanted to make her something for the start of the school year that would go with her decor, but also be useful. I've been seeing diy dry erase boards on Pinterest and wanted to try my hand at it. This is what came out of it:

Supplies needed:

$3 ugly picture frame from Goodwill
$1 can of white spray paint
2 sheets of scrapbook paper from your pile of scrapbook paper that's not ever going to be used
Hot glue gun
Ribbon from your bridal shower that was 2 years ago
Brown paper bag

1. Start with your $3 ugly picture from Goodwill. Remove backing, picture and glass from frame. Lay frame on top of the brown paper bag and spray paint. It might need to do this a couple of times.
Picture before.

2. While paint is drying, make your "picture." My goodwill picture was glued to two borders and backing. I flipped the picture over to the backing side and pasted my paper on the smooth surface. My backing and frame were larger than my paper, so I added another sheet of paper to make the border. I first measured my center paper and determined how wide my border needed to be. I then stick glued strips for the border and then added the full sheet.


Like this!


3. Put your frame and picture back together. I wanted to add a little more pizzazz, so I added ribbon I had stuck in my closet since my bridal shower 2 years ago. Hot glue the ribbon to the back of the frame. Cover the back of the frame with packing paper for a cleaned, finished look.


4. Ta-Da! It's done. That's it! It really only took me 10 minutes to make (not counting drying time) and cost me $4. I hope she likes it!


P.S.
My secret sister totally knows who I am. It's ok if she sees this :)

1 comment: