Thursday, May 24, 2012

South Dakota: Traveling with Celiac Disease

In SD with the boys.  After 5 years of being their roadie, 
they finally let me on stage!

Four days before leaving for South Dakota with the boys, I found out that I had Celiac Disease.  What is a gal supposed to eat if your only options are gas station and fast food?  Here are a few tips that helped me while road tripping with 4 guys to South Dakota:

1.  Do your homework. When first starting your gluten free diet, research restaurants you frequently go to and find out what gluten free items they  have to offer.  I also downloaded The Gluten Free Guide To Fast Food onto my e-reader, which provided me a list of foods I could eat at some popular fast food restaurants. This e-book was a great help for those quick eating stops. There are also many apps to download.  Find Me Gluten Free is one of my favorites.

2.  Think ahead.  Plan ahead.  I knew there would be times where I wouldn't be able to eat what the boys were eating.  Many exits only have a few restaurants to choose from.  Stops such as Subway, McDonalds, and Quiznos don't offer a wide variety of gluten free foods to choose from, and I couldn't expect them to stop at Wendy's every time so that I could get a baked potato.  To help prevent the "I can't eat anything, but I'm so hungry, I hate being gluten free, I'm crying, and now I've made a scene" meltdown, I packed a cooler with lean lunch meat, string cheese, strawberries, and GF bread to make sandwiches and a quick picnic type meal.  I also brought heat and eat rice cups, applesauce, GF protein bars, apples, peanut butter, and GF cereal.  All foods that are easy to pack and easy to prepare in the back of a 13 passenger van.

3. Don't be shy- Request GF meals from the caterer.  The boys were playing for a weekend youth retreat at a hotel/conference center.  The conference center was providing three out of the five meals.  The two meals not provided were pizza and KFC.  (That's where my picnic lunches came in.)  Soon after we arrived at the hotel, I called the front desk and was able to speak with the chef who then told me the items on the breakfast menu that were gluten free and also offered to prepare me a meal that was GF.  They were so much more helpful than I thought they would be.  I felt silly asking him if he could read the ingredients listed on the sausage box, but he was very patient and understood my needs.

4.  Use this opportunity to educate others.  When being diagnosed, I didn't want to be labeled "one of those people."  You know, the one who makes a scene at restaurants because they have to tell the waitress EXACTLY how to prepare their food.  Or the ones who freak out if a crouton even slightly touches their salad.  Well, I have come to the conclusion that I will be "one of those people", but this is also a great opportunity to educate others that Celiac Disease isn't an allergy, eating gluten free isn't just a trendy diet I'm trying out, but that it is a real autoimmune disease that can potentially lead to life threatening diseases if not treated.

I hope these tips help you as they helped me on my travels with the boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment